Sunday 8 June 2008

I have a summer goal, and more

Summer Goal

So, I got a letter from school about A levels, and what one I should pick for next year (that would be an addition to my art btec). The only one that really grabs my eye is the music one, because it's a composing course, and I'm pretty interested in that. The description of the course mentions composing, but also composing using computers, and then of course performing our pieces (which I'd love to do, I've never performed to a large audience, or in a group for that matter). I do admit though, I'm not so keen about learning theory. I mean, I'm definitely eager to learn, but I can imagine me not...doing so well in this part, and getting a bad grade. But if I'm honest, it's not the grade that concerns me at all in reguard to this.

But yeah, that leads to another thought. Both Liam (ugmo) and Dom have said that studying music actually partially killed their enthusiasm for it. I'm not sure if I should take this into account though, because:

  • This course seems a bit different. It's situated about writing music and performing which is exactly what I want to do. I think their courses were more like...traditional? Can't think of a word
  • They might be talking about university level, which would indeed be much harder.

Either way, I'm going to atleast try my summer goal (and a requirement to apply for the course); I need to record a 2 minute original composition. I've already started this anyway, but it's not going that well because I really need to break the mold of mimicing songs, or making songs that sound like a blend of others. I have all summer to do this (I think, anyway) so I think it will definitely get better. I might start getting guitar lessons again, or maybe piano lessons, just because a requirement is a "clear interest in music", and I don't think they'd think I'm "interested enough" if I don't atleast have some references.

Birthday

Tomorrow is my birthday (16th); I'm not getting anything apart from albums though. Well, actually, I'm getting just money I think, but with that I'm buying albums. This is because I really need to expand my music library (and hell, maybe if I do that, I'll start copying from everyone except just Radiohead, haha). List includes The Eraser, Melon Collie and the Infinite Sadness, Either/Or, Boy in da Corner, and Selected Ambient Works 85-92 (and others, possibly). But then again, that's assuming they have them in HMV (I know they'll have the Smashing Pumpkins one, but last time I checked they didn't have "The Eraser", so I'm doubting they'll have Aphex Twin).

How I miss my Potato

Yeah, my laptop's still away getting fixed, and boy do I miss working on Alien Potato. I know what you're thinking: "Wait, you miss working on a cartoon? After mentioning many times how pain stakingly boring it is? Question mark?" Well, that is correct, animating is often extremely boring, but it's something to do that's productive. I wrote about this in much more detail in a previous blog, but I'll go over it again; I love creative/productive stuff, because they kill time and they're achievements, in a way. I feel like I'm doing something, rather than just indulging myself in nothing. So basically, I feel a lot more pointless when I'm not working on something.

This has a bright side though, because instead of just doing nothing all together, I'm working on something else productive which is actually more important as of now. I'm refering to trying to write a song of course.

Yeah, that's about it. I'm back to shortish blogs for now.

1 comment:

Dom said...

Best label ever.

Haha I like how you complained about animation and art a few posts back, saying how music was... I dunno... the most "meaningful" vocation, and are now lamenting your lost potato. WHAT A BUNCH OF LIARS!

But yeah, you shouldn't have too much trouble with music. If there's anyone who knows what music TODAY is, it's Jack Amberz.

HEY SOM!